Throttle adjustment?

Thread: Throttle adjustment?

Default Throttle adjustment?

I have an 08 109 and was wondering how to adjust the throttle? It seems like there is alot of play on the throttle and I only see the little adjustment on the cable underneat. It's almost all the way out already. Is there another adjustment i'm missing?

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Follow the 2 cables down to the throttle body. You can adjust it there to take out some slack. First screw it back in at the throttle, then back the two adjusters out at the throttle body till it takes most of the slack out. Then final adjustment at the handlebar.

I know it's been 8 years but this was the top result on google.

How can I adjust the tension (strength) of the throttle cable? I mean the force that pulls the throttle back to closed.

My wrist hurts after a while of riding just because the throttle pulls back with such force.

Thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by breadfan View Post

How can I adjust the tension (strength) of the throttle cable? I mean the force that pulls the throttle back to closed.

My wrist hurts after a while of riding just because the throttle pulls back with such force.

Thanks.

Not sure you can, I believe it's spring loaded, so you'd have to install a lighter spring. You might try changing the angle of your handlebars, maybe it's angle and not necessarily the tension on the throttle.

Does your throttle have the proper amount of slack?
    Last edited by Kratos109; 05-18-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Thanks.
    The return spring(s) is on the throttle body(s). It would be difficult to change it to a lighter spring(s).

Use a throttle rocker. It makes a huge difference.

Just another suggestion while your are busy adjusting the throttle......If you suddenly started experiencing excessive throttle play, also just give the cable a once over check and make sure it is not damaged and about to let you down. Lube it too. It's always a good practice to do an inspection anyways when doing any type of adjustments to anything on your bike. More often than not it creates extra work which is a PITA but also a butt saver.

Quote Originally Posted by pavetim View Post
    I have an 08 109 and was wondering how to adjust the throttle? It seems like there is alot of play on the throttle and I only see the little adjustment on the cable underneat. It's almost all the way out already. Is there another adjustment i'm missing?
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT"

Very Active Member

Thanks.
    Like TRod said, it is a spring on the throttle body under the tank. I have a buddy with a Virago 1100 with the opposite of your problem, and you don't want your throttle to not return. That is what he is fighting getting fixed. It has a aftermarket carb installed by the guy that he got it from. I haven't looked at it yet, but he is always fighting it not returning. I put on a set of Kurayakn grips with a throttle boss. If you go that route be sure to fiddle with it and get it in the right position on the grip, to high and you will find yourself pushing the throttle open when you don't want it too.

Marty