RatedR Timing Retard Eliminator (TRE) Install

Thread: RatedR Timing Retard Eliminator (TRE) Install

Default RatedR Timing Retard Eliminator (TRE) Install

I have owned my '07 M109 since new-- 0mi. I have been slow to mod it, because it seems like the perfect bike for me, but sure enough, over time, I have been slowly giving in to the mod bug.

I ordered the Timing Retard Eliminator for the M109/C109 from RatedR w/ the thought of "free hp" from a timing alteration after reading about it on this forum. It is a nice unit w/ the proper connections to make a clean, in-line insertion of the TRE. I was surprised to see a Suzuki logo on the paperwork that came w/ it-- I assume it is either a Suzuki "performance" part or the dealer is too small for Suzuki to go after for using the logo.

I popped the right side panel off the bike and went to connect it up, and was surprised to find an identical looking unit already installed on the bike-- I mean, it looks exactly the same. I have owned my '9 since new.

So the questions are:
    - Does the RatedR TRE replace or augment the existing unit on the bike?
    - Did Suzuki start adding an in-line TRE to M109's?
    - Did I waste my money?

I also have a query into RatedR, but seeing how they are out of AU, I am hoping the forum will provide an answer quicker.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0696.JPG 
Views:	373 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	5271  
    Last edited by foobar; 04-05-2009 at 11:31 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I also have a new '07 and I have a GiPro. There was nothing installed 'inline' with the gear position switch if that's what you're referring to.

I'm not sure why anything would be there to begin with Maybe someone will chime in if they've seen something similar.

This is how my sensor looked before connecting my GiPro(borrowed from JUtah's how-to),

I think this might be the TRE you have, but I'm not familiar with the RatedR TRE,

Good times

Ok, I missed your pic for some reason. That's strange but it sure looks like you have one already installed

I know the goofy things manufacturers will do in the name of decreasing liability (build a monster engine, then dial back the timing...) An SLP/Diablo tune on my LS1 GTO made a difference. That's why I wanted to put this unit in the '9...

I probably will do some "trial and error" later today, but I have my kids running around right now. I was hoping for a quick answer.

I am the only owner of the bike-- "trip 2" matches the odo. The "new" part looks exactly like what is already in there...
    Last edited by foobar; 04-05-2009 at 11:29 AM.
    2002 R1150R
    2004 GTO
    2006 K1200R
    2007 M109R

Quote Originally Posted by tanker0027 View Post
    I think this might be the TRE you have, but I'm not familiar with the RatedR TRE,

That would be a better picture of what is both already installed and what I purchased...
    2002 R1150R
    2004 GTO
    2006 K1200R
    2007 M109R

Very Active Member

I have also owned my '07 M109 since new,
    and mine didn't come with a free TRE installed.
    And to my knowledge, Suzuki doesn't sell one.
    Either someone at yer dealer performed some unauthorized work on yer bike,
    or.... the bike wasn't exactly "new".
    I think you need to revisit your dealer and have a heart-to-heart talk.

since that it seem, you'll have an extra one that you won't be using, why don't you send it my way, lol. I'll check it out and see if I'll make a difference...

Quote Originally Posted by da piglet View Post

small ranch/farm out in the country 10 miles north of Burlington N.C.

I think your dealer installed a free TRE for you...maybe he was testing a stock unit to see how it worked and forgot to remove it...maybe someone else bought the bike then backed out and wanted it installed prior to delivery...or maybe the TRE fairy's installed the unit the minute after you signed the papers....either way I see no reason to complain to the dealer...now you have a back-up when or if the other one fails Count your blessings ...sometimes they are hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by da piglet View Post
    I normally think along those lines, as well. However, a H.S. friend of mine works there... The bike was in the crate before I bought it... Trip2 matches the ODO. The dealer has a good rep in the area. The stars don't align for the used-car dealer conspiracy theory.

Is this a Suzuki speed part, along the lines of GM Performance Parts (GMPPP) or Ford Racing Perfomance parts (FRPP)?
    2002 R1150R
    2004 GTO
    2006 K1200R
    2007 M109R

Quote Originally Posted by Tigz View Post
    since that it seem, you'll have an extra one that you won't be using, why don't you send it my way, lol. I'll check it out and see if I'll make a difference...
    Sure, PM me and make a fair offer. As you know, it is brand new...
    2002 R1150R
    2004 GTO
    2006 K1200R
    2007 M109R

Default pm sent

intersted on the part give me a price
    arnott air ride, superman covers w/k&n filters, pc III, rainey 5" cannon,280 rear and 160 front with extreme wrenched wheels.

Default Done looking at it

I tested both the orig and the RatedR unit w/ an Ohm meter-- not a terribly accurate one though. Both read the same 3k Ohms (supposted to be 2.7k Ohm according to this:

http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97244

I felt my '9 ran ever so slightly better on the RatedR unit-- not that the bike ran bad on the other. Psycological? Maybe. The new RatedR unit is in my bike. No complaints w/ what RatedR provided.

I am happy w/ my '9 and have had no problems w/ it except for a mild version of the 1-2 gear crunch everyone has... I am convinced that I have a new-from-the-crate bike.

> Hi,
    >
    > That is definitely one of my TRE's that someone has added in there.
    > The bike would not have been supplied from Suzuki with anything fitted like
    > that.
    > *
    > Cheers,
    > Steve McDowall
    > 0403 029 182
    >
    > WWW.RATEDRPARTS.COM

Anyone on here work at a dealership or Suzuki? Would there be any reason to have a TRE pre-installed? Was the original put on to smooth the bike out and make it easier to ride? Secret recall? Anything?

Wierd.
    2002 R1150R
    2004 GTO
    2006 K1200R
    2007 M109R

Quote Originally Posted by foobar View Post
    I ordered the Timing Retard Eliminator for the M109/C109 from RatedR w/ the thought of "free hp" from a timing alteration after reading about it on this forum.
    Don't get me wrong... TRE's are good things... I have one myself... although the "free hp" or "added hp" is a bit of a misconception IMO... By adding a TRE, you are not giving the bike anymore HP that it already has... All you are doing is applying it differently... Guys who buy this $50 part and expect a nice little HP gain are often disappointed... I think this is why there are mixed reviews on TRE's...

The TRE for an M109R, does nothing more then send a signal to the OEM ECU to "trick it" so it uses the 4th gear fuel/timing map no matter what gear the bike is in... except when you put the bike in "Neutral" and the TRE turns off till you put the bike back into gear... It does this with about .20c worth of electrical components... 1 X Transistor @ .15c & 2 X Resistors @ .02c each... (Cheaper if you buy in bulk... and that's Aussie cents... so it would be cheaper again in US cents... )

So the questions are:

- Does the RatedR TRE replace or augment the existing unit on the bike?
    Nope... You've just bought something you already have installed on ya bike..! Although fitting 2 X TRE's inline might make the bike think it's in 8th gear...

So the questions are:
    - Did Suzuki start adding an in-line TRE to M109's?
    I highly doubt it... I'd say the dealer popped it in there for some reason and you were not aware of it till now...

So the questions are:

- Did I waste my money?
    Not if you can sell it to someone else you haven't...

I'm an Aussie... RatedR import the TRE's from the US... You've just imported one back again... Ya TRE has more miles on it that you will rack up in a few years... and by the look of it... it looks no different then the JSD TRE and I expect this is who RatedR buy them from in the first place and perhaps repack them for sale down here in Oz...

Cheers from Downunder & Ride Safe...

BBB

Did your friend set you up to have the fastest stock 109 from that dealer so you could smoke his boss.

I installed a GiPro on my 07 and it sure didn't have a TRE already on it. I'd say you got lucky and got a free one, though it would be interesting to find why the dealer or factory installed it.

Life has no remote control, get up and change it yourself.