Vinyl vs Painting - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vinyl vs Painting

Quote Originally Posted by RicoChet View Post
    Hey guys here is the idea that I've been playing with as far as what I mean by using vinyl. Feel free to comment, give me idea's or tell me it looks like crap! I'd like to do something a little different then a paint job and lose the white stripe (it will be covered by vinyl)

It looks like a great design.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

the first pic is pure s e x
    It's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

13 years graphics design experience
    OK you make me a set of the first pic I will put them on my bike and tell you how it works. OH YEAH Dark Grey vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by Alien109 View Post
    OK you make me a set of the first pic I will put them on my bike and tell you how it works. OH YEAH Dark Grey vinyl.
    I managed to get in contact with a local vinyl guy and he apparently has done many bikes before. I might be able to get the template from him and then I can do many designs

Previous Bikes: 2001 Honda Shadow VT750, 2005 Suzuki M50, 2005 Yamaha MT-01, 2008 Suzuki M109R LE. 1982 Honda CB900F
    Current Bike: 2012 Rocket III Roadster Phantom Black

Learned something interesting today. After speaking to the local decal guy here he told me that stripes on all the cars and trucks he's done have been different sizes on the front, top and trunk. I went to check that out on my LE and apparently it was true, the front stripe was close to 4 1/2 inches and the back around 5 3/4 inches.. I'll need a flexible ruler or a piece of string to measure properly next time.

Now I need help with this next task: Apparently there is no one here who can do a tank wrap for this bike. He said that the surface of the fenders would need to be traced, unwrapped and then scanned into a computer so that when you output the final design it will fit properly and not warp the images. Does anyone know of who would specialize in this?

My goal is to be able to have / make a custom template for the paintable surface of each fender that I can use in illustrator and make new designs for my bike when ever I get bored of the current one! If anyone can suggest anything helpul I would appreciate it PM me if you want as well

Previous Bikes: 2001 Honda Shadow VT750, 2005 Suzuki M50, 2005 Yamaha MT-01, 2008 Suzuki M109R LE. 1982 Honda CB900F

Before I finally got the nerve, okay money, to paint my Bully, I used vinal graphic from www.ihotrod.com. They provide a great produt that acutlly looks like paint. People could never tell until they actully touched my bike (which a a NO NO) or I confessed after their compliments. I actually took first place in a bike show for best paint with. Here are a few pics

]Proverbs 13:3

Guys tell me what you think of this type of idea for my bike... They're like flames but they are color matched and appear like they have inner shadow

Guys tell me what you think of this type of idea for my bike... They're like flames but they are color matched and appear like they have inner shadow

I like the look!
    May your blessings outnumber the Shamrocks that grow. And may trouble avoid you wherever you go!

Heres a version with black only stripes

I like the yellow on yellow better, but that's just me.
    May your blessings outnumber the Shamrocks that grow. And may trouble avoid you wherever you go!

Here is my latest attempt for the design of my vinyl, can I please get opinions, suggestions or flaming attacks what ever you like! Let me know if you like where I'm going with this.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vinyl-ghost-job3.jpg 
Views:	867 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	4857  

Here is my latest attempt for the design of my vinyl, can I please get opinions, suggestions or flaming attacks what ever you like! Let me know if you like where I'm going with this.

I like it... two things that look weird to me though:
    - the white LE stripe on the fender. Looks out of place to me.
    - The line between the front of the tank and the radiator/frame cover. Looks like the design wants to start at the neck cover (where the forks go through the frame) and move back to the tank.

Dig the concept overall though!
    with myself. I'm right 70% of the time all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo0824 View Post
    I like it... two things that look weird to me though:
    - the white LE stripe on the fender. Looks out of place to me.
    - The line between the front of the tank and the radiator/frame cover. Looks like the design wants to start at the neck cover (where the forks go through the frame) and move back to the tank.

Dig the concept overall though!
    Thanks for your input Ignore the white stripe as this picture doesnt have my previous blacked out stripe which I am doing next week...
    Regarding the other point I am not sure what you mean, are you suggesting having the black move into the rad cover area? I can try extending it and see where it leads up. Thanks!!

I like this one best!

I really like some of these designs. I have a friend that makes vinyl on a side business he has.

I know what I have done and I think he does once in a while when installing larger one's is spray a mist on the decal and the painted surface you are applying it on with Windex or soapy water. This will allow you to move it around to get it in the right position. You won’t be able to drive it for a day or so depending on temp outside because it needs to dry for the glue to adhere but it works good. I did this with the faring on my CBR and it worked great. I used a small squeegee or credit card to get the air bubbles and excess water out after I had it in the position I wanted.
    Home made De-beaver, A & R 6K HID, Factory Pro Evo Shift STAR, Suzuki Engine Guard, JSD-3M, Road Burner Velocity Pro 2-1 exhaust, PCIII, Custom Speedo face, Suzuki Billet Engine Cover, Kuryakyn ISO Grips, Smart Man's Grill, Chrome Brake Reservoir, Cobra backrest and rack, Cobra Drive Shaft cover, Rifle Windshield and lowers, Much more to come...

Very Active Member

I really like the ghost flame looking ones but I would ditch the stripe all together and do something of the same on the front fender. Then you could also move those rear flames up and back to clear your chrome side pieces since there would not be a stripe to interrupt the upper flame on the cowl. Just my .02. Like your thinking though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuki280 View Post
    I really like the ghost flame looking ones but I would ditch the stripe all together and do something of the same on the front fender. Then you could also move those rear flames up and back to clear your chrome side pieces since there would not be a stripe to interrupt the upper flame on the cowl. Just my .02. Like your thinking though.
    The White stripe will be converted to a black stripe sometime in the beginnign of next month, thats the first stage.... these vinyl graphics will come after, the cost was very very very expensive... I was quoted $450 for those flame graphics? Doesn't sound right to me. If anyone works in the vinyl field feel free to chime in.

That Is Bad Arse!!!! I would like to see what tht would look like on a 07 LE!!!
    Ride Sober Live Free!
    I am NOT GOING DOWN!!!!!!!

Fast!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
    That Is Bad Arse!!!! I would like to see what tht would look like on a 07 LE!!!
    If you can get me the best well lit, high resolution shot of your bike than I can show you

The White stripe will be converted to a black stripe sometime in the beginnign of next month, thats the first stage.... these vinyl graphics will come after, the cost was very very very expensive... I was quoted $450 for those flame graphics? Doesn't sound right to me. If anyone works in the vinyl field feel free to chime in.
    actually that's probably about right. I'm not even sure how they'll get the vinyl to wrap the front of the tank like that. There will be some hours in it. A smaller vinyl shop is probably in the $35 an hour rate range. material probably $100

We're a large electric sign shop and our shop rate is twice that.

If you can get me the best well lit, high resolution shot of your bike than I can show you
    Will this work? It's an older pic.
    Last edited by Boudreaux; 03-26-2009 at 07:00 PM.
    Ride Sober Live Free!

Fast!!!

Very Active Member

i like the yellow on yellow!

Or this one I just took. A little cloudy outside.
    Ride Sober Live Free!

Fast!!!

Thanks for your input Ignore the white stripe as this picture doesnt have my previous blacked out stripe which I am doing next week...
    Regarding the other point I am not sure what you mean, are you suggesting having the black move into the rad cover area? I can try extending it and see where it leads up. Thanks!!
    Actually yeah, that is what I meant... unless you like the line that the front edge of the black tank makes against the radiator cover. I guess that when I look at it, the radiator cover draws attention because it doesn't carry the same design as the rest of the bike, especially where the black on the tank meets the yellow of the radiator cover. (if that makes sense)

Like I said though. I like where you're goin. Wish I had your photoshop skills...
    with myself. I'm right 70% of the time all the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
    Will this work? It's an older pic.
    Thats a good picture but now send me the 3000x2700 resolution shot! You didn't take that picture at 1 Megapixel did you? I usually work with pictures larger then my 24" monitor can fit! Let me know if you have it

for whole my whole bike to be covered i got quoted 1000usd.

Very Active Member

awesome designs the best is the first picture
    I DO DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!