HOW to remove chrome on plastic????

Thread: HOW to remove chrome on plastic????

Default HOW to remove chrome on plastic????

I want to black out my bike and have been using sandpaper to filed down the chrome on plastic. It is time consuming. Anyone with any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Maybe aircraft paint remover, but I'm not sure if it would damage the plastic...it's pretty strong stuff..I'd try it on a small part, and watch it, don't let it sit too long. A good one to use is TAL Stripe...I picked it up at Advance Auto

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOGuy View Post
    I want to black out my bike and have been using sandpaper to filed down the chrome on plastic. It is time consuming. Anyone with any suggestions?

Thanks
    Don't remove the chrome (if it is even possible) use 400 grit wet sandpaper sand till its all dull then coat.

I was told that airplane stripper was to strong and might eat the plastic. I was also told to sand down the chrome and just paint over it. I appreciate both suggestions, but would like to get more opinion on the matter.

Thanks guys, be safe

Very Active Member

first you need to scuff it up with scotch brite brown pad then buy rattle can of eching primer it will be in green color after drying up fine sand it with 1200 or 1400 just to slightlly dull the primer then spray with your favorite color .this is how i did it for my chrome speedo bezel
    I DO DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to paint it black what is the part number of paint that is most similar to the stock black on the bike?

Very Active Member

My God, no rattle cans on anything. Aircraft stripper won't strip chrome, chrome is a metal.
    Last edited by Crazyspeed; 03-09-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOGuy View Post
    I want to paint it black what is the part number of paint that is most similar to the stock black on the bike?
    Factory code is YAY Pearl Nebular Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspeed View Post
    My God, no rattle cans on anything. Aircraft stripper won't strip chrome, chrome is a metal.
    He's talking about some of that highend plastic chrome we have on our 9's. Stripper will ruin the plastic without a doubt. You need to scuff it up and then paint to color of choice. It will be time consuming but if you want it right you have to put in the time. Send a PM to Real Mcoy, his 9 is blacked out and he is a painter as well.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyspeed View Post
    look i did it a year ago and still holding all you need is the eching primer and scotch brite pad once you dull out the chrome it will stick .
    after i did the primer i used a good quality spray can on satin finish black and it still holding i also did it to the chrome pices that hold the seat .
    one thing i forgot to mention i heated the metal parts after painting them in my oven .
    only the metal not the plastic pieces .
    just be pacient and use small coats at a time and you will be ok
    I DO DRIVE IT LIKE I STOLE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by perro View Post
    first you need to scuff it up with scotch brite brown pad then buy rattle can of eching primer it will be in green color after drying up fine sand it with 1200 or 1400 just to slightlly dull the primer then spray with your favorite color .this is how i did it for my chrome speedo bezel
    This answer is right !
    Ive painted cars for 28yrs if u dont etch chrome the paint will peel off.

the way I did it before was to scuff up the plastic chrome with sand paper till it was completely dull and roughed up. Then I applied some black primer on top of it, sanded it carefully, another layer of primer and then I painted on top of that, finished with a satin top coat. Came out looking brilliant and I have never painted before

Previous Bikes: 2001 Honda Shadow VT750, 2005 Suzuki M50, 2005 Yamaha MT-01, 2008 Suzuki M109R LE. 1982 Honda CB900F
    Current Bike: 2012 Rocket III Roadster Phantom Black