BARR's Pass Button 2 Garage Door Opener Mod
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BARR's Pass Button 2 Garage Door Opener Mod

Default BARR's Pass Button 2 Garage Door Opener Mod

Like many others I wanted to install a button for my garage door opener. I intuitively looked at the seldom used Pass button since it is a momentary button just like the garage door opener buttons.

I started by reading the wiring diagram and found that the pass button was simply paralleled with the brights switch. I dismantled the left side switch module and followed the Pass button wires. I found that they attached to the brights switch wires about 6 inches after leaving the switch module. I disconnected the wiring harness from where it plugged in behind the headlight and pulled the entire harness off the bike. I taped a new set of wires to the end of a hanger and pushed them through the harness tubing. I then cut the pass button wires where they attached to the headlight bright switch wires and taped up the stubs. I stripped and attached the pass button wires to the 2 new wires I just ran through the harness sleeving and reassembled and reinstalled the left side switch module.
    Next I opened up my garage door module, soldered a couple of wires to the momentary button connections on the bottom of the circuit board and ran them out the side the garage door opener case. The original switch is still functional since I'm just paralleling the connections. I attached those 2 wires to the wires that I ran to the pass button and tested my Pass button garage door opener.....sweet!

I just tie wrapped everything in place and reassembled the headlight cover and job complete.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thewires.jpg 
Views:	818 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	623   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harness2.jpg 
Views:	680 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	624   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	opener.jpg 
Views:	757 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	625   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buttonup.jpg 
Views:	876 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	626  

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Good idea No garage door but I wonder if that will work with an electric gate opener
    2007 M109R LE-Sideburner-Suzuki sport windsheild- gel seats-billet Suzuki swivel backrest-250 E3-polish/painted derby cover- polished/painted rims- painted rotors- custom speedo plate- blue LED's- homemade debeaver w/LED plate mount- debadged- drilled/polished risers- polished windshield hardware- lowered 2 3/4

I would imagine that it would work with pretty much any device of that nature.

... i had done this on my previous bike. glad to see how it was done on the 9, added to the winter mod list.
    It's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Very Active Member halfdome109r's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ranchhand View Post
    Good idea No garage door but I wonder if that will work with an electric gate opener
    yes it would, same concept.
    Life is too short, live it your way.

Very Active Member 07red109david's Avatar

I use that pass button for the corners at night alll the time..I would just put a button on the bike...Just my thought...

Name:	100_1194.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	1952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1195.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	1953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1196.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	101.3 KB 
ID:	1954  

I thought about using the pass switch for the garage door as well... I actually had it all apart and was cut and soldiered everything until I realized how much I actually use it at night.

I installed a small button on the bottom back of right side cover. You can not even tell it is there. I also used a 1/8" stero plug on the garage door opener so i could take it off easily and use it anywhere else... if anyone is interested I will take pics....

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbaby View Post
    I thought about using the pass switch for the garage door as well... I actually had it all apart and was cut and soldiered everything until I realized how much I actually use it at night.

I installed a small button on the bottom back of right side cover. You can not even tell it is there. I also used a 1/8" stero plug on the garage door opener so i could take it off easily and use it anywhere else... if anyone is interested I will take pics....
    I'd like to see how you did that. Sounds like it might be a nice way to do it

Quote Originally Posted by 07red109david View Post
    I use that pass button for the corners at night alll the time..I would just put a button on the bike...Just my thought...
    I'm surprised to hear that people are using that button at night. I ride with my high beams on both day and night, at day for visibility and at night so I have enough time to brake after seeing an obstacle. Way too easy to outrun your low beams at night in my opinion! I have the flash 2 pass opener on mine and it works great. Pretty much the same set up as what you did without the soldering. Great Mod!
    07 LE Debadged, Debeavered, Baron's Stealth Plate Bracket, Clear Alternatives Tail Light ,HID Light, Stebel Air Horn, Engine Case Guards

I was recently cut off 3 times in one day and found myself thinking of another useful mod and function for that button....I suspect this one may prove to have some therapeutic benefits as well

Name:	gattlingGunMod.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	1962  

Quote Originally Posted by BARRMAN View Post
    I was recently cut off 3 times in one day and found myself thinking of another useful mod and function for that button....I suspect this one may prove to have some therapeutic benefits as well
    I'm all about taking out those evil minivans!!!!
    07 LE Debadged, Debeavered, Baron's Stealth Plate Bracket, Clear Alternatives Tail Light ,HID Light, Stebel Air Horn, Engine Case Guards

Great mod. Looks something like what I want to do. I never use it anyway. I always run with my brights on at any time of the day. Makes sure everyone can see me and that I can see well in front of me.

i done the same mod as well last year. i mounted mine in the same place and used gasket sealant around the edges of the garage opener to keep moisture out. i liked using the pass button because i didnt want to drill holes in anything or mount a button for it.
    if it won't fit, FORCE IT!

I did my garage door opener mod but the system I used was under 40 bucks. I do not have any pic to show you. I did have to drill a hole for the remote button on the bottom side of my left side panel. the button is tiny not quite the size of a pencil eraser it works well and was a cheep mod. it took me about 15, 20 mins to do!!

cool beans
    40 degrees and partially sunny, i'm probably out riding

Quote Originally Posted by BARRMAN View Post
    Barrman, do you have a url for that mod?!

Very Active Member windycityrider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HyperPete View Post

check out this link to "flash 2 pass". easier install imho.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geu.QEig...hnologies.com/

OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED.......THE
    WINDY CITY IS MY PLAYGROUND

Quote Originally Posted by HyperPete View Post
    No URL, only the pics I posted.
    The toughest part for me was dismantling and reassembling the switch module but since I have already found and have shown you the wires you need, you don't need to disassemble that module at all. You just remove the whole switch assembly and wire harness from headlight cover. Cut the wire harness tubing back to expose the pass wires and insert your 2 new wires into the wire harness then attach to the garage door opener and pass wires as shown.

Good luck, it is a sweet and convenient mod that costs nothing

...Oh and the mini gun upgrade instructions are in process.
    Last edited by BARRMAN; 05-17-2009 at 12:20 AM.
    06 burple - custom debeaver, kuryakyn ISO grips, stiletto ends, chrome rear brake cover, wrap around rear LED lights under cowl, kuryakyn run/turn/brake module, rear mini bullet signals, drilled baffles, cobra bungee knobs, 6K HID, suzuki tank bra, smoked taillight, blazer driving lights, 12v adapter, drag specialties teardrop mirrors, custom speedo faceplate, blue gauges, tach relocation, kuryakyn chrome drink holder, customized air filter box with blue LEDs.

It's the mini-gun mod I was talking about.

I already have a flash to pass module installed that does not change the button function.
    (It was $29)

Buy a module called a TR7 from eBay about $20 set it to read pulses and set it for 3 pulses. connect the output to you door opener and input to the high beam

When you use pass button for 3 flashes it opens the door

Thumbs up

Here is another alternative that I used. It's $29.95 and easy to install. I put the entire install in the headlamp nacelle with a mini garage door opener.....You want the AS5PG2.
    The web address is www.autoswitch.com

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by pedro66 View Post
    Buy a module called a TR7 from eBay about $20 set it to read pulses and set it for 3 pulses. connect the output to you door opener and input to the high beam

When you use pass button for 3 flashes it opens the door
    would any 3 flashes from a car or bike open the door? does it have security feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Djxtrodinaire View Post
    would any 3 flashes from a car or bike open the door? does it have security feature?
    Its has to be 3 flashes from your bike within 5 seconds for the module to read the electrical pulses and send them to your garage remote. it has nothing to do with the flashes as such you dont even have to have a headlight bulb as your just reading the signal to the light
    Last edited by pedro66; 05-18-2009 at 06:16 PM.

Default mod

I put my opener in my pocket. When I get home I press it. Then if I need it, I can use it in my Tacoma. No mods needed

Cobra Dragsters Long DeBaffled Chromed front and rear rims Chrome covered lower fork/front calibers Chrome covered rear caliper Chrome coverd Drive shaft Chrome covered swing arm Kuryakyn Flame Grips and Foot Boards Arlen Ness Mirrors Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank Bra LED Tail Light ATRE Gear Emulator Dual Spiked Air Cleaner Intake Filters Billet Backrest m109 Fender Eliminator Bracket Plate Mount Fi2000R Processor Speedometer and Tach cover plates

Quote Originally Posted by scottr63 View Post
    I put my opener in my pocket. When I get home I press it. Then if I need it, I can use it in my Tacoma. No mods needed

I do the same and have never had an issue. BTW, talk about a worthless thread revival

i just did the same mod, slightly different. Grabbed a Genie Universal remote from Lowe's. Soldered two wires to the switch circuit board, sealed it all up with black silicone, and velcroed it inside the right-side painted panel, behind the rear jug. Just below that is the switch I installed for the Pro-Cycle Tach a few years back. I don't use the record feature anymore, so I wired that switch to the remote. Works great.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy%20of%20EVL-TWN%203%20012.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	85212

Quote Originally Posted by MarlboroLts View Post
    i just did the same mod, slightly different. Grabbed a Genie Universal remote from Lowe's. Soldered two wires to the switch circuit board, sealed it all up with black silicone, and velcroed it inside the right-side painted panel, behind the rear jug. Just below that is the switch I installed for the Pro-Cycle Tach a few years back. I don't use the record feature anymore, so I wired that switch to the remote. Works great.

Very good idea M,LTS. Neat idea and install, remotes are cheap so why not mount it rather then carry it.
    Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
    George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by BigM109r2 View Post
    Very good idea M,LTS. Neat idea and install, remotes are cheap so why not mount it rather then carry it.
    Exactly. Just hit the button as I'm comin' up the street.

Quote Originally Posted by MarlboroLts View Post

I call this the winner!

Did the same thing back in 2009....relocated this spring with my air ride controls.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1368237757952.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	85219

sent from Tigz Galaxy