Anyone ever tried these LED Headlights
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Anyone ever tried these LED Headlights

  1. #1
    Very Active Member LoBlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    203

    Default Anyone ever tried these LED Headlights

    Anyone ever tried these particular H4s? Had a good review on Youtube, but its hard to tell sometimes.

    https://www.auxbeam.com/headlight-bulbs/H4/88621849

    I was watching a review of all LEDs and the 'expert' cautioned that its not generally the brightness, but how the brightness is focused the right way in the headlamp to create the right forward projection.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Very Active Member SouthernFattie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Southeast Louisiana
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoBlo View Post
    I was watching a review of all LEDs and the 'expert' cautioned that its not generally the brightness, but how the brightness is focused the right way in the headlamp to create the right forward projection.


    Right.
    Remember though....a LOT of people whining how they dont project far do NOT take into consideration that not ALL LEDs are placed in the
    EXACT same orientation. OR the fact that MOST of your light's projection is the reflector housing itself. If the LED and Housing arent in the
    perfect spot together...light might not project well. I've NEVER had that issue in my bike, nor any vehicle. But a close friend of mine has.
    Not sure what bulb he had or has now, but it's FAR better than the HIDs I have in my truck. I have OSRAM 6000Ks and his 6000k LEDS
    out shine me like crazy.
    Custom Z-Bars. Chromed Holey Grips. Scythe Knock Off Mirrors. Bullet Turn Signals. GMan ATRE. Cobra PowrPro (thanks Laurex). McNEMO Custom Rat Rod Exhaust. Custom Polished & Painted Stock Wheels. Smoked & Integrated Sequential LED Tail Light. Stealth LED signals under rear fender. De-beavered with plate mount. Edelbrock ProFlow Intakes. Plasti-dipped Speedo Housing, Chrome Rear Fender Rails, Tach Box and Chrome on Headlight Cowl.

  4. #3
    Very Active Member LoBlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernFattie View Post
    Right.
    Remember though....a LOT of people whining how they dont project far do NOT take into consideration that not ALL LEDs are placed in the
    EXACT same orientation. OR the fact that MOST of your light's projection is the reflector housing itself. If the LED and Housing arent in the
    perfect spot together...light might not project well. I've NEVER had that issue in my bike, nor any vehicle. But a close friend of mine has.
    Not sure what bulb he had or has now, but it's FAR better than the HIDs I have in my truck. I have OSRAM 6000Ks and his 6000k LEDS
    out shine me like crazy.
    Yeah, I had issue with my m50, before I upgraded to the m109r. I bought two different LEDs with better brightness, but the way they hit the reflectors was wrong, so that the stock halogen was actually still better. Wasted $50 bucks in total. The m109r has such a unique reflector shape in its cowl that its hard to tell if any particular LED will give the right result...

  5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Very Active Member bwl60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    High Rolls Mountain Park, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,222

    Default

    That could have something to do with the number of sides the LED has. I have noticed some are 2 sided, some 3 sided and some 4 sided. This one you are looking at looks like it is 2 sided but the chips don't shine just straight out from the side. It looks like they point left and right on each side. And that is different.

    98% of all Harleys solld are still on the road...the other 2% made it back home

  7. #5
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    St. Louis Missouri
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bwl60 View Post
    That could have something to do with the number of sides the LED has. I have noticed some are 2 sided, some 3 sided and some 4 sided. This one you are looking at looks like it is 2 sided but the chips don't shine just straight out from the side. It looks like they point left and right on each side. And that is different.
    I have put it on here before, and I will repeat myself again. If you want an absolutely AWESOME LED bulb for your 9 get the Cyclops 7000 lumen, they have small deflectors on the led's which make the beam hit the reflector properly. I have one in my 9 and it lights up the road for a LONG way ahead of the bike. Before this bulb I put in a 90/100w Halogen, and it was not even close. Someone on another motorcycle forum recommended this bulb and let me tell you it is the best light I have ever had in anything car/truck/bike. I made a post about this LED when I put it in with a link to the web page.

  8. #6
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    St. Louis Missouri
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bwl60 View Post
    That could have something to do with the number of sides the LED has. I have noticed some are 2 sided, some 3 sided and some 4 sided. This one you are looking at looks like it is 2 sided but the chips don't shine just straight out from the side. It looks like they point left and right on each side. And that is different.
    I have put it on here before, and I will repeat myself again. If you want an absolutely AWESOME LED bulb for your 9 get the Cyclops 7000 lumen, they have small deflectors on the led's which make the beam hit the reflector properly. I have one in my 9 and it lights up the road for a LONG way ahead of the bike. Before this bulb I put in a 90/100w Halogen, and it was not even close. Someone on another motorcycle forum recommended this bulb and let me tell you it is the best light I have ever had in anything car/truck/bike. I made a post about this LED when I put it in with a link to the web page. Here it is again.....I have nothing to do with this company other than buying there product and LOVING it.

    http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...ulb_p_169.html

  9. #7
    Very Active Member bwl60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    High Rolls Mountain Park, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sssportsmfg View Post
    I have put it on here before, and I will repeat myself again. If you want an absolutely AWESOME LED bulb for your 9 get the Cyclops 7000 lumen, they have small deflectors on the led's which make the beam hit the reflector properly. I have one in my 9 and it lights up the road for a LONG way ahead of the bike. Before this bulb I put in a 90/100w Halogen, and it was not even close. Someone on another motorcycle forum recommended this bulb and let me tell you it is the best light I have ever had in anything car/truck/bike. I made a post about this LED when I put it in with a link to the web page. Here it is again.....I have nothing to do with this company other than buying there product and LOVING it.

    http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.co...ulb_p_169.html
    That actually looks like the bulb he posted just black. Cool I will have to check it out. Haven't changed mine to led yet but will sometime soon. THX!

    98% of all Harleys solld are still on the road...the other 2% made it back home

  10. #8
    Very Active Member thevili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bwl60 View Post
    That actually looks like the bulb he posted just black. Cool I will have to check it out. Haven't changed mine to led yet but will sometime soon. THX!
    Yup,
    LED part looks identical, with the advantage that OPs is set of two for the price of one 'cyclops'.
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

  11. #9
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    St. Louis Missouri
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post
    Yup,
    LED part looks identical, with the advantage that OPs is set of two for the price of one 'cyclops'.
    It might very well be sure does look the same, and now you made me cry spending twice as much. I bought mine a while ago, was going to put it in my 04 Volusia, but decided after I got the bulb that I was going to get a new bike with more power and kept the bulb and left the high watt halogen in.

    I noticed that the write-up on the one he posted says it is a 6000k bulb. that is extreme blue white, I don't like real blue bulbs the light is not real usable. I did also notice on the Cyclops site that they actually redesigned their bulb to a lower K back to a whiter white. Maybe that is just marketing to stave off the competition...dunno. In any event, I am happy with mine. It really makes riding at night a pleasure.

    Marty

  12. #10
    Very Active Member thevili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sssportsmfg View Post
    It might very well be sure does look the same, and now you made me cry spending twice as much. I bought mine a while ago, was going to put it in my 04 Volusia, but decided after I got the bulb that I was going to get a new bike with more power and kept the bulb and left the high watt halogen in.

    I noticed that the write-up on the one he posted says it is a 6000k bulb. that is extreme blue white, I don't like real blue bulbs the light is not real usable. I did also notice on the Cyclops site that they actually redesigned their bulb to a lower K back to a whiter white. Maybe that is just marketing to stave off the competition...dunno. In any event, I am happy with mine. It really makes riding at night a pleasure.

    Marty
    I am really not here to argue, but difference between

    5500 vs 6000 Kelvin is in my opinion unrecognisable.

    Both of them are within real daylight spectrum. Aren't they?

    What I Like about both are the mini reflection shields

    pointing the beams correct way.
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

  13. #11
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    St. Louis Missouri
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thevili View Post
    I am really not here to argue, but difference between

    5500 vs 6000 Kelvin is in my opinion unrecognisable.

    Both of them are within real daylight spectrum. Aren't they?

    What I Like about both are the mini reflection shields

    pointing the beams correct way.
    Whatever....I like mine. Hope he gets it and does a nice write up.

    Marty

  14. #12
    Very Active Member bwl60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    High Rolls Mountain Park, New Mexico
    Posts
    1,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sssportsmfg View Post
    It might very well be sure does look the same, and now you made me cry spending twice as much. I bought mine a while ago, was going to put it in my 04 Volusia, but decided after I got the bulb that I was going to get a new bike with more power and kept the bulb and left the high watt halogen in.

    I noticed that the write-up on the one he posted says it is a 6000k bulb. that is extreme blue white, I don't like real blue bulbs the light is not real usable. I did also notice on the Cyclops site that they actually redesigned their bulb to a lower K back to a whiter white. Maybe that is just marketing to stave off the competition...dunno. In any event, I am happy with mine. It really makes riding at night a pleasure.

    Marty
    6000 is actually a very bright white. That is what I have now. You go hotter and it starts turning bluish. But between 5 and 6000 for me is the perfect white. No blue no yellow.

    98% of all Harleys solld are still on the road...the other 2% made it back home

  15. #13
    Very Active Member LoBlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    203

    Default

    So I got the auxbeams in and my first impression is...


    ... that I don't like the beam pattern at all. . Granted that its in the day that I'm testing it since I'm working at night and the day is the only time I've had time to work on the bike for a bit. I'll keep them on until the I get a chance for a night run before I decide.

    Also, the back is too large for the dust cover which makes me nervous that eventually I'll get that dusty, foggy interior headlight soot that makes the headlight look dingy after a while. There's a good change I'm going to stick with stock and just plan on aftermarket light pods for my lighting augments.

    lb

  16. #14
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    St. Louis Missouri
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoBlo View Post
    So I got the auxbeams in and my first impression is...


    ... that I don't like the beam pattern at all. . Granted that its in the day that I'm testing it since I'm working at night and the day is the only time I've had time to work on the bike for a bit. I'll keep them on until the I get a chance for a night run before I decide.

    Also, the back is too large for the dust cover which makes me nervous that eventually I'll get that dusty, foggy interior headlight soot that makes the headlight look dingy after a while. There's a good change I'm going to stick with stock and just plan on aftermarket light pods for my lighting augments.

    lb
    I did a small tutorial on changing the bulb out, not a real good one as I didn't take enough pictures. But I mentioned that you have to cut the boot to 1.5" in diameter to accommodate the fan and heat sink. It is a close fit, and will keep out as much dust as with the standard Halogen. Don't know if it is still on here or not (tutorial). Don't know if they changed the reflector year to year or not. Mine is a 13.

    Marty

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •