Them pesky tail lights....

Thread: Them pesky tail lights....

Default Them pesky tail lights....

Hey guys... been a while since I've been on here, but when you need expert advice.... you come to this forum!! So anyways, I had put an integrated tail light on my 109 two years ago, everything was fine and then late last season it went out, while the bike was at the dealer they put a new one on the bike for me, lasted literally 200 mils and I lost all the lights but the bottom 3.... after searching this forum for answers, I saw that a few members have taken them apart and fixed them. which I what I tried to do... I now have all my lights back and the turn signals work again, problem is I have brake lights all the time. my question is, is there a short somewhere do you think, or solder making a jumper on the boards, I was gonna take the whole thing apart and try and clean up the solder joints but wondering if you guys have any input... I'm sure this kind of post has been beaten to death but any help and info would be more than appreciated and helpful... thanks again guys
    I live for the thrill of the ride!

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member biker-chicky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sly109 View Post
    Hey guys... been a while since I've been on here, but when you need expert advice.... you come to this forum!! So anyways, I had put an integrated tail light on my 109 two years ago, everything was fine and then late last season it went out, while the bike was at the dealer they put a new one on the bike for me, lasted literally 200 mils and I lost all the lights but the bottom 3.... after searching this forum for answers, I saw that a few members have taken them apart and fixed them. which I what I tried to do... I now have all my lights back and the turn signals work again, problem is I have brake lights all the time. my question is, is there a short somewhere do you think, or solder making a jumper on the boards, I was gonna take the whole thing apart and try and clean up the solder joints but wondering if you guys have any input... I'm sure this kind of post has been beaten to death but any help and info would be more than appreciated and helpful... thanks again guys
    Sorry I can't figure out what to say to help you with your dilemma as I have one of my own.

Well what did you do? I have been told my tail light is difficult to see during the day, it's a clear lens. I'm going to look for some red film to lay over top to see if it cuts the shine down so the lights can be seen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Planing a British Columbia Meet, PM if you are interested? June 21-25, 2018 some place in southern part of the Kootneys.
    Planing a British Columbia Meet, PM if you are interested? June 21-25, 2018 some place in southern part of the Kootneys.

Quote Originally Posted by biker-chicky View Post
    Sorry I can't figure out what to say to help you with your dilemma as I have one of my own.

Well what did you do? I have been told my tail light is difficult to see during the day, it's a clear lens. I'm going to look for some red film to lay over top to see if it cuts the shine down so the lights can be seen.

Your problem is NOT the lens it is the crap led's inside. Covering them up will only make them more difficult to see.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Alien109 View Post
    Your problem is NOT the lens it is the crap led's inside. Covering them up will only make them more difficult to see.
    Awe so there is no remedy?

Years ago, when I first got my bike, I went through three Clear Alternative tail lights. They just would not last even a year. I believe it was in 2010 that I got one of the D2Moto clear tail light / brake lights. No signals. Had it ever since and not had one problem with it. Others that bought the ones with the signals integrated in them had problems. I just opt to stay away from integrated lights. Seems they are all trouble.
    SILVER 2006 M109R. Brembo front brake calipers, Corbin Smuggler, Low & Mean chrome chin scoop, Cycle House chrome kickstand, Mean Cycles T-Rex speedo trim, Cobra Tri-Pro exhaust, LA Choppers xXx Big Air intakes, D2Moto tail light, Kuryakin clear signals, Yana Shiki One Inch Drop Risers, BreakAway Cruise Control, Suzuki Full Cut Gel Seat, JDA Chrome Fork Caps.

Last edited by thevili; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:52 PM.
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Very Active Member

Awe so there is no remedy?

Yea there is.....buy a good taillight or put the factory one back on. I know when I first got my 9, a buddy that I ride with that owns a Harley said to me, man I really LIKE your taillight it is easy to see and bright in the daylight. I'm not going to change mine. There is really a lot of crap out there for the 9 that is aftermarket, but not worth 2 cents.

JMHO

Marty

If you want the brightest tail light with a clear or smoked lens then you need to use a stock tail light and replace the lens to your preferred style. The reason for the failures on those aftermarket lights from clear alternative and the other one i cant remember that i have seen and repaired was strictly because of the very cheap soldiering job. They apply so little soldier that what little is there tends to break contact in a few places after as little as a few hours on a big v-twin. To fix you simply go from pin to pin and resoldier that joint. NO you don't need to do every single pin however if you do it right it will only help in the long run doing all the pins.
    As for the OPs brake light, is it always on as regardless if you hit the brakes or not the brighter Brake light just stays lit? That could be a short across the board somewhere, loose wire floating around or it could be from either the hand or foot brake light switch being tweaked somehow. If it started after you were inside the light i would think thats where you will find the problem but a quick once over on the switches to rule them out would be quick and easy and free and would help you know its most likely the lights circuit board and some stray soldier or some other conductive material where it shouldn't be.
    Last edited by Latinrascal; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sssportsmfg View Post
    Yea there is.....buy a good taillight or put the factory one back on. I know when I first got my 9, a buddy that I ride with that owns a Harley said to me, man I really LIKE your taillight it is easy to see and bright in the daylight. I'm not going to change mine. There is really a lot of crap out there for the 9 that is aftermarket, but not worth 2 cents.

JMHO

Marty
    Thanks, yes I agree. I've gone to far with this TopZone light to give up now. I can go back to stock if I must.

Revo is back online, I thought they closed their doors?

Sorry took me so long to get back to my own post haha... dealer gave me a new light... figure this one will last two months, long enough for me to find a stocker and some other turn signals... my only problem now is I think a relay or switch is stuck on.. I plugged the new light in and same thing... brake light stays on. Anybody ever have this happen to them before?? If so, what's the remedy if you have one?? Thanks in advance!!!!

Revo is back online, I thought they closed their doors?

Closed? Did not read about that, have you?
    And if yes, where/when?
    M109R 2011 Black, 2" lowering bones, air horn, flash to pass garage door opener, Brakeaway Cruise Control, V-stream windshield, Back Off Brake hold, OEM engine guards, Cobra One Piece rear luggage carrier, Cobra Tri Pro 2 in 1 Black exhaust, Cobra FI 2000 AT fuel processor.

Default brake light stays on

Sorry took me so long to get back to my own post haha... dealer gave me a new light... figure this one will last two months, long enough for me to find a stocker and some other turn signals... my only problem now is I think a relay or switch is stuck on.. I plugged the new light in and same thing... brake light stays on. Anybody ever have this happen to them before?? If so, what's the remedy if you have one?? Thanks in advance!!!!
    It is possible that wiring is mixed up?

Brake wire with running light wire...?

I have read here that few 'offshore'

products came that way...

The previous light worked fine until the leds went bad, that wiring is correct, this wiring looks the same, is there a switch that could be stuck... that's what I'm leaning towards, everything was fine and then the light is staying on now.

I wasn't sure if there was a relay stuck or the brake light switch is stuck...

The previous light worked fine until the leds went bad, that wiring is correct, this wiring looks the same, is there a switch that could be stuck... that's what I'm leaning towards, everything was fine and then the light is staying on now.
    What I meant was that wires on the

'new' light might be switched,

not the wires on your bike..

(bad manufacturing)

It could be either, but lots of times its been the foot pedal switch shorting into the always on position somehow so it would be a good place to check first to be sure everything there is good. It could be a bad switch or it could be a weak pedal spring causing the pedal to sag away from the switch allowing the light to come on.

Quote Originally Posted by Latinrascal View Post
    It could be either, but lots of times its been the foot pedal switch shorting into the always on position somehow so it would be a good place to check first to be sure everything there is good. It could be a bad switch or it could be a weak pedal spring causing the pedal to sag away from the switch allowing the light to come on.

I'm gonna check that out when I get home, what's the remedy for that?? Unplug it until I can get a new one?

I'm gonna check that out when I get home, what's the remedy for that?? Unplug it until I can get a new one?
    depends on what the problem is but yeah if the switch is broken beyond repair if thats the case then disconnecting should turn the light off but dont forget to check for other causes like bad spring. BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO GET REARENDED because you forget your light isn't working properly!

Even if the switch on the rear brake is disconnected, the front brake will light the light. We all should be using the front brake much more than the back anyhow. For many years, I intentionally disconnected the rear brake switch. So I could use the brake to slow down without giving away to the PO-PO that I was slowing down. I don't rely on the back brake anyhow, in my experience rear brakes are good for a slide when you don't want one.
    SILVER 2006 M109R. Brembo front brake calipers, Corbin Smuggler, Low & Mean chrome chin scoop, Cycle House chrome kickstand, Mean Cycles T-Rex speedo trim, Cobra Tri-Pro exhaust, LA Choppers xXx Big Air intakes, D2Moto tail light, Kuryakin clear signals, Yana Shiki One Inch Drop Risers, BreakAway Cruise Control, Suzuki Full Cut Gel Seat, JDA Chrome Fork Caps.

UPDATE!!! The new light came wired backwards, thanks for all the insight and new found knowledge guys!!!!

UPDATE!!! The new light came wired backwards, thanks for all the insight and new found knowledge guys!!!!
    Thanks for confirming it!

No problem!!!! glad I was able to gather the insight from the forum members... too bad there isn't more of you guys closer to my area!!
    I live for the thrill of the ride!