Synthetic oil

Thread: Synthetic oil

Default Synthetic oil

Ok so my 1000km service is comming right up here and after it's done I am wanting to switch to a synthetic oil. Have had synthetic in every thing I've ever owned and am a huge fan! Any recommendations on what people like and are running in the 9's?? Big fan of mobile one! Thanks folks! ??

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

I ran Mobil 1 racing 4t 10w40 for eight years in my 9. I then switched to Shell Rotella T6 5w40. It was easier to find and half the price. I ran that for several years with no issue. I always used a Suzuki oil filter with my oil changes.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE
    Coming to a city near you..

Used Mob1, used Royal Purple, currently using Lucas.

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

I'm also a HUGE fan of Mobile-1 Full Synthetic. I use the 20-50w, as I feel it's a good fit for the powerful 109 cu in. engine the 9 is equipped with.

10W40 Amsoil AMO car oil. Same thing I've used in all my bikes and cars for as long as I can remember. Don't worry about how many miles I put on it. Just change it once a year.

Very Active Member

Have used, Royal Purple, Shell Rotella T6, Amsoil, Elf, Mobil 1 (all 10w-40 motorcycle specific oils except for the Rotella T6, which is a 5w-40 diesel oil, but does have the JASO rating) and am now trying Redline.

I have not used all of these oils in the 109, just what I have used over the years in my bikes. Before Redline, I used either Mobil 1 or Amsoil (a local bike shop sells Amsoil, so both were easy to get) as a staple.

Bikes seemed to run a little cooler with Mobil 1 than Amsoil. As of right now, the bike seems quieter with Redline than it was with either Mobil or Amsoil, but it's a fresh oil change, so we'll see how it does over time.

Very Active Member

Synthetic is the only way to go. I have used Amsoil and it worked well but I don't believe it warrants the extra cost so I use Mobile 1.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos109 View Post
    Have used, Royal Purple, Shell Rotella T6, Amsoil, Elf, Mobil 1 (all 10w-40 motorcycle specific oils except for the Rotella T6, which is a 5w-40 diesel oil, but does have the JASO rating) and am now trying Redline.

I have not used all of these oils in the 109, just what I have used over the years in my bikes. Before Redline, I used either Mobil 1 or Amsoil (a local bike shop sells Amsoil, so both were easy to get) as a staple.

Bikes seemed to run a little cooler with Mobil 1 than Amsoil. As of right now, the bike seems quieter with Redline than it was with either Mobil or Amsoil, but it's a fresh oil change, so we'll see how it does over time.
    Kratos, I agree totally that bikes (at least my 9s) seem to run cooler and smoother on Mobil-1 F/S motorcycle oil, and I took it a step further by going to the 20w-50 grade. It's perfect for my 9s, and they run smooth all the way to the next oil change.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xfire68 View Post
    Synthetic is the only way to go. I have used Amsoil and it worked well but I don't believe it warrants the extra cost so I use Mobile 1.
    😊👍👍👍...are you using 10w40, or the 20w50 that I'm using?

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Valentine316 View Post
    Ok so my 1000km service is comming right up here and after it's done I am wanting to switch to a synthetic oil. Have had synthetic in every thing I've ever owned and am a huge fan! Any recommendations on what people like and are running in the 9's?? Big fan of mobile one! Thanks folks! ??
    I run Mobile 1 15w50w and the HiFlo HF#138 filter that I get off Amazon for $7.89. HiFlo has as much surface filter area as any out there, and is a quality filter in design. The Mobile 1 I get at Wally world. about $25 for 5 quarts in one jug. I ran that in my 2004 Volusia, and now in my 2013 9. I also use the extra and run it in all my lawn power equipment.

I don't like low viscosity oils for bikes, if they sold it in a jug at the same price I would use the Mobile 1 20w50w. But they only market that in 1 qt. bottles and as V twin motorcycle oil and at a much inflated price. Won't pay it for 5w difference on the low end.

And until the end of the month you can get $12 off each on the 15w50w with a rebate. I bought two jugs and turned in the receipts online you can get the rebate info here....https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mo...Promotion_body

Marty
    Last edited by sssportsmfg; 05-03-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    😊👍👍👍...are you using 10w40, or the 20w50 that I'm using?
    I am currently using 10w-40. I looked for 20w-50 but they did not have it in stock at my local Wally World.

Very Active Member

I am currently using 10w-40. I looked for 20w-50 but they did not have it in stock at my local Wally World.
    That's because the 20w50w is specific oil marketed as V twin motorcycle oil, and Wally world does not carry it here either. I use the 15w50w not the 20w50w. The 15w50w comes in a 5 quart jug. The 20w50w only comes in 1 qt containers and is a lot more expensive. O'Reilly's carries the 20w50 Mobile 1 MOTORCYCLE V twin branded oil. If I remember right it was around $11.99 a quart.

I just went to my local store's web site and they don't even list it, but they have it as I am in that store frequently. Like I said just get the 15w50w at Wally world.
    Last edited by sssportsmfg; 05-03-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Very Active Member

I don't think Wal-Mart carries the 20w50 grade of Mobil-1 motorcycle oil. However, you can get it at Advance Auto, Autozone, and Oreilly's.

Very Active Member

I am using Mobil I 15W-50. My reasoning is that the rough shifting seems a bit smoother with this oil. I wouldn't use that oil in colder parts of the country, particularly in the winter. A 10W-?? will get the cold oil pumping faster.

Have ran Amsoil 20/50 my last 3 oil changes,but like Rascal it just seems to vaporize when I'm runnin hard..just to pricey to keep topping up,especially with these bikes,trying to not overfill..have a jug of T6 sitting for the next change,will give that a go..if that dissapears like the Amsoil,I'm going back to Dino oil.
    never had issues with that for the first 50K..
    Stav

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Have ran Amsoil 20/50 my last 3 oil changes,but like Rascal it just seems to vaporize when I'm runnin hard..just to pricey to keep topping up,especially with these bikes,trying to not overfill..have a jug of T6 sitting for the next change,will give that a go..if that dissapears like the Amsoil,I'm going back to Dino oil.
    never had issues with that for the first 50K..
    Stavro, let us know what you think of the T6, I changed mine to that from Lucas. But now I really don't like the way the bike is shifting. It seems to shift harder, and seemed very smooth(other than 2nd) with the Lucas in it. Although the Lucas was something like $18 L compared to around $40 for 5L of the T6.

Very Active Member

Guys, I'm not trying to criticize anyone for their choice of oil to run in their own M109R. However, I would like to encourage 9 owners, and bike owners in general, to never jeopardize or risk the very best level of operation and functionality of your bike due to the idea of simply saving a few dollars. I'm not stating that the products you're using are inferior in any way. Moreover, I'm suggesting that if there's a particular product you've had great success with, or you feel is a better quality and better performing product, spend the little extra cash to get the quality you want. I've learned over the years that "you generally and typically get what you pay for." We all know that often times, the better quality products in life cost a bit more than others, and I think it comes down to just how much quality we're willing to pay for, regarding the purchases we make in our lives. I can't speak for everyone, but one of the most annoying things for me is to have a bike or a car that's not performing up to my expectations. So, I try to select quality vehicles, and products used in those vehicles, to satisfy my standards of transportation. Of course, there's no guarantees about any of the products we choose, but I do believe there's a higher level of expectations one should have for products of a higher cost, compared to some of the other cheaper related, or competitive products.

I'd like to know what some of you guys consider most when you're deciding on a purchase...specifically the oil you use in your bike.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    I am using Mobil I 15W-50. My reasoning is that the rough shifting seems a bit smoother with this oil. I wouldn't use that oil in colder parts of the country, particularly in the winter. A 10W-?? will get the cold oil pumping faster.
    Why? 15w is listed in the Suzuki book as going down to the teens on temp, do you ride in single digits?

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by JUDAH-9 View Post
    Guys, I'm not trying to criticize anyone for their choice of oil to run in their own M109R. However, I would like to encourage 9 owners, and bike owners in general, to never jeopardize or risk the very best level of operation and functionality of your bike due to the idea of simply saving a few dollars. I'm not stating that the products you're using are inferior in any way. Moreover, I'm suggesting that if there's a particular product you've had great success with, or you feel is a better quality and better performing product, spend the little extra cash to get the quality you want. I've learned over the years that "you generally and typically get what you pay for." We all know that often times, the better quality products in life cost a bit more than others, and I think it comes down to just how much quality we're willing to pay for, regarding the purchases we make in our lives. I can't speak for everyone, but one of the most annoying things for me is to have a bike or a car that's not performing up to my expectations. So, I try to select quality vehicles, and products used in those vehicles, to satisfy my standards of transportation. Of course, there's no guarantees about any of the products we choose, but I do believe there's a higher level of expectations one should have for products of a higher cost, compared to some of the other cheaper related, or competitive products.

I'd like to know what some of you guys consider most when you're deciding on a purchase...specifically the oil you use in your bike.
    That's an awful lot of words to say, "don't put that cheap oil in your bike because it's cheap."

Fact: Rotella and Delvac diesel oils are pretty damn good oils. They are used in trucks that don't change oil every 3K but more like every 10K miles. And those motors will go 1 million miles between rebuilds.

The reason it's cheap is because they make a crapload of it.
    Last edited by TRod; 05-09-2017 at 01:03 PM.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRod View Post
    T

That's an awful lot of words to say, "don't put that cheap oil in your bike because it's cheap."

Fact: Rotella and Delvac diesel oils are pretty damn good oils. They are used in trucks that don't change oil every 3K but more like every 10K miles. And those motors will go 1 million miles between rebuilds.

The reason it's cheap is because they make a crapload of it.
    I realize my previous post was a bit lengthy. But, I wanted to be sure I was not offending anyone with how I may have stated things. I appreciate your response, regarding the diesel oils available out there. I realize I don't know much about them, because I've always stuck to using the full synthetic motorcycle oils for years. I'm learning from you all who have different experiences and knowledge about things I have never experienced.

Thanks to all for sharing,

Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
    Oklahoma is one of the colder climates. I have used 20W-50 Suzuki petroleum oil in my Nine since I bought it in July 2006. I have no shifting problems at all, and in fact my first-to-second shift practically feels like a regular bike shift. Yes, I do make that shift like I mean it, but I've had the bike so long it requires no thought on my part to do so.

I refuse to use synthetic oil in my Nine, it simply doesn't get hot enough to use the only real benefit synthetic has, it handles heat better. I have a oil temperature gauge on my bike, and even during the heat of summer in stop-and-go traffic, it never has gone above 220 degrees. The oil is cooled via a connection to the radiator, so as long as the radiator and fan are doing there thing, oil temperature should never be a problem. I'm not going to pay the price for synthetic for use in a bike that doesn't need it.

JMHO. Use what you like. Oils oil.
    SILVER 2006 M109R. Brembo front brake calipers, Corbin Smuggler, Low & Mean chrome chin scoop, Cycle House chrome kickstand, Mean Cycles T-Rex speedo trim, Cobra Tri-Pro exhaust, LA Choppers xXx Big Air intakes, D2Moto tail light, Kuryakin clear signals, Yana Shiki One Inch Drop Risers, BreakAway Cruise Control, Suzuki Full Cut Gel Seat, JDA Chrome Fork Caps.

You can order Mobil-1-20W-50 from Walmart amd pick it up it your local store https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-2...1-qt./16767830

If you want Suzuki 10w40 Synthetic oil here is a link to a full kit. http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/parts-accessories/suzuki-synthetic-oil-change-kit-wfree-gsxr-hat-limited-time.html