Brake pads

Thread: Brake pads

Default Brake pads

What brake pads are the preferred pads to use? I just ordered a galfer df359cw wave and will replace the pads so i know everything in the booty area of Caboose is good to go
    Current Rigs:
    2007 Chevy Sliverado 1500 xcab z71- "Inmate the 2nd"
    2006 Suzuki M109R (dark blue)- "Caboose"

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Anyone? Cricket cricket cricket.......
    Current Rigs:

I'm thinking that the reason you are not getting much feedback on this is because it has been talked about many times in other threads. I might recommend that you use the search feature and do a little digging and you will get your answer in there. Cheers

5. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

Very Active Member

Well , being used to replace the pads on all my cars thru the years , I looked at the pads on my 109 and I assumed that they were very thin and needed replacement , so I ordered the Galfer 1054 semi metallic for the front and rear . My bike has only 3900 miles , so I kind of got concerned about having to replace the pads that early , but , it needed to be done so I ordered them .
    When the pads arrived and I checked them , to my surprise I realized that the new pads were as thin as the ones on the bike , lol... Then , I knew that my pads are in perfect condition and would not need replacement for thousands of miles .
    Anyway , since I will have to replace them eventually in the future , I already have them .
    I went with the semi metallic type because I am using the OEM rotors and want to avoid noise and rotor wear and those are the closest to OEM .

Default 2008M109r!

Ceramics all the way.

well after I posted my reply I did a search and found that it's between the sintered and ceramics, so I went a head and ordered some sintered for the rear since I don't wanna clean dust off my rear as often. from what I gathered with the sintered, is that they might be a bit noisy till I get them burned in and seated with the rotor. just so long as the weather is at least dry when I get everything swapped over, i'll be heading down to get my solo bag installed and do a photo shoot with it on the bike. so i'll have plenty of distance to get them burned in and seated since I use the rear brake more on slow speed maneuvers than I do the front. and once I get back from doing more figure 8's out in the pacific in april, i'll be replacing the front rotors so I can have matching rotors all the way around.
    Current Rigs:

The gaps on the brake pads act as wear indicators.i change mine when those r gone and I just have a flat pad hope you understand what I mean and I also go with ceramic.
    06 custom, dripping in chrome....lowered front and rear ....160/280....custom paint....:BOTM AUG 2014

I'm going with new pads because of the new rotor. IMO, new gets new. And i ordered sintered since from what i could tell is they produce the least amount of dust out of all the pads, and brake dust sucks since it tends to be fairly abrasive
    Current Rigs:

Very Active Member

I did a bit of intense research on this brake pads thing , and for what I finally concluded , you can replace and install sintered pads if you have replaced the rotor with an aftermarket one , like the Galfer rotors , for example .
    The OEM rotors , as far as I understand it , will wear fast and produce noise with the sintered pads.
    Ceramics pads , I have no idea .
    The Galfer semi metalics are the equivalent of the OEM pads . They are easy on the rotors , have very good modulation and feel and will last a very long time .
    Now , having said that , they also produce a bit of dust as all semi metalics do , but faced with the prospect of noise and faster wear on the rotors and having to get new ones (a very expensive proposition , I may add) against a bit of dust which I can perfectly clean up ... it was to me a no brainer .
    I have already replaced the brake lines with SS braid Galfer brake lines , so the feel on the brakes has improved .
    Fortunately for me , as I previously commented , I found out that my pads are still perfect and good for many miles , so I`ll store these new ones until the time I will need them.
    This is my own personal opinion , of course , and I got to those conclusions entirely on my own . Anybody else is entitled to his own reasoning and may arrive to think differently on which pads will fit better .

I replaced my pads with galfer sintered a few years ago. I have about 25k miles on them now and have plenty of meat left on them. When I first installed them, they were a little noisy for the first 100 miles or so. But after that, I only hear the typical barke noise when I apply them. Nothing when I am not on them. But, I also have Cobra Dagsters and listen to music when I ride.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk