M109 Rider Forums banner

c109 or m109, which to get?

23K views 37 replies 31 participants last post by  CFLAP 
#1 ·
new on here. i've been lurking around on here and have seen some of the sickest bikes. i've always been a harley guy. started out with a sportster 1200 and soon after wanted something bigger and went with a fat boy.
i saw an m109 on the street a couple of months ago and thought it was the baddest bike i've ever seen. couldn't believe it was a suzuki. now i really want to turn my harley in and get one. the only problem is that i wanted to get a touring bike.
i went to the stealership and sat on a c109. i really like the look of the fat tank from behind. then i saw the m109. now i really loved it, but i really want comfort and the use of a windshield. which to get, i'm confused. How is the m109 on long trips? does the windshield for the m109 really do any justice? sorry for such a long post, but really want some of you experienced guys advice and opinions.???

#2 ·
:welcome:to the forum! In my opinion- get the M109 and put the removable windshield on it. That way you get the best of both worlds. This bike is excellent on long rides- I've done 10 hour days on mine with no complaints. And that was on the stock seats!

#4 ·
- I've done 10 hour days on mine with no complaints. And that was on the stock seats!
I have no idea how you accomplished 10 hrs on the stock seats!! Thats the biggest problem I have found with the 109, the stock seat is absolutely terrible. Not sure if height/weight has anything to do with it ( I'm 6'1" and 95kgs) but I have found it more uncomfortable than my motard!!

#3 ·
Same here, I have the M109 and Love it!! I have a set of Corbins/ and I had my factory seat re-upholstered added half inch gel and cut down in the back so you don't try to slip off the back when doing 120 or BETTER ;) Try doing the better part on your Harley :joke: :joke: 10 hour rides are pretty easy with small stops along the way, got to have a smoke every now and then :bigthumbsup:

Welcome to the board and no, we don't all bash HD's but there are some!! I ride with Ninja 250's and whatever else they want to ride, I just like to ride. Again Welcome!!

Don

#8 ·
With a gel seat and good windshield it makes a good touring bike. I don't think it will ever tour like a Road King, but it's decent. I have the V-Stream touring shield on mine because I like the looks, but for pure protection I'd probably get a Rifle.

#9 ·
:welcome: Yeah, I told myself my next bike would b a Harley, however I researched & discovered the VZR 1800,(M109R), the technology in the engine:super:, & the rest of the machine:yikes::bad2thebone: appeal? U summed it up in your 2'nd paragraph. The M109 is a new breed of it's own that will always hold it's own, not just another metric, (Harley), lookalike
so prevalent in the market. U can put a wind sheild & bags on it... they come right off...Transformers...:D But U can't transform a c109 in 2 a m109! A stealth 109 is a M109....:doorag:

#11 ·
I have an M109 R2 and luv it. My longest ride in a day has been 356 miles. A little stiff in the legs walking around afterwards :-\ though. There was a C109 at the one dealer when I was looking and IMHO it was too much of a "Freight Train", gotta be tough in turns. I have a Volusia for cruisin' :doorag:
and use the M109 for going :evil:. Get the M ain't nothing like it :2cool:

#12 ·
It doesn't matter what you have as long as it is what you want. I love my m109 and when I get off it and am walking away I still have to stop and look back and admire both the ride and the looks with a smile.
If you really want to have the best of both worlds, one suggestion, is the m109 with all the Corbin goodies (http://www.corbin.com/suzuki/s-m109r-bag.shtml). This is what I am saving for (they are not cheap). They make bags that look like they were designed by the same people that came up with the m109 and a lot of people on this site really like their gel seat. I have had a little numbing on long rides but the stock seat is working for me so far. Coming from a Harley you may also like their faring. I use and like the Suzuki wind screen (http://www.suzukicycles.com/Accesso...a45&type=06a9a7ba-5862-4c7e-9b02-be1bfd2dd936).
One of my winter projects is to put boogie boards on the pegs (http://www.m109roa.com/cs/blogs/hondiego/archive/2006/12/01/1924.aspx). I know that some people really like the Kuryakyn pegs (http://www.directlineparts.com/byProduct.asp?prd=Pegs+&+Floorboards&sub=Pegs&str=290&ID=077554462).
I have never rode the c109 but one of my best friends has its little brother, the c09, and it is a little more comfortable for long rides and does handle surprisingly well, but it is not as fun as the m109 and my buddy gets really tired of his bike getting ignored whenever it is near my m109.
Hope this helps and welcome!

#13 ·
now you have gone and done it.. :a18: When it comes right down to it, the choice is gonna be 1. What you want to start out with.... That is the question you have to ask yourself. There are 1000's of things you can do with both of them to create exactly what you want, but you have to pick the base model you want...

I have the M109 and love it, if i had to start over, i would go with it again... i have the bungee buttons and sissy bar from a duece on my bike... if i want now i can throw a bag on the back of the sissy bar and a big bag on the back seat and im good for a week or so of riding.. i will not be able to get as much stuff as my buddy who has the ultra glide and have it all hidden...

:welcome: and :congrats: on taking the plunge to a freeking awsome bike... you will not be disappointed... here is a picture from a recent ride...

Casey

#15 ·
I'd say get the M also. I rode mine form Northern Michigan to Biloxi Mississippi and had no problems. You can do anything to make it more comfortable. I myself like it the way it is. All I have done for comfort was readjust my handlebars and put switchblade pegs on it. I'd say it serves me well as a tourer. Anyhow whatever you decide I'm sure you'll be happy.

#17 ·
Yepper, you can't beat the M! You can do all the mods you want to make it a cruiser and still have all that RAW power, and like one of the other guys says, it's hard not to look back at her with lust in your eyes! Great for the long haul too, even 2 up. My wife and I are not small and we still go for all day rides every weekend. Get the M and you'll never look back! :D

#18 ·
Another for the 9. I have done some 400 mile days and could have gone more.

In the picture I have some FieldSheer throwover bags A regular luggage bag with a strap on my backseat attached to the sissy bar and my laptop is in it's bag on the back of the sissy bar.When I got where I was going every thing comes off and stay in the room and I ride around on just the bike.

I do like the C109R but the 9 is just unique looking for the time being and gets alot of stares and starts alot of conversations.

On the other hand when I ride with Wolvey71 and 47Steeler,47steeler gets alot of attention with his bike. Wolvey gets a little with his Corbin hard bags. When Wolvey71s girlfriend rides with us then all the attention is on her red Spyder and the 9s are just another bike :confused:

#19 ·
Get the C!

OK...now from a C owner... :D

Case for the M:
1) The M would get more attention; definitely a hot-looking :bad2thebone: bike.
2) There are an infinitely higher number of aftermarket products for the M; the C stuff is coming but ever so slowly, and probably will never match the amount of stuff as the M has.
3) It has more power and you can mod it towards a tourer.
4) You can get high-compression pistons and racing cams from James McCoy :super:.

Case for the C:
1) It is more comfortable. As the magazine articles pointed out "it has a more humane riding position". I think that pretty much clears up the comfort level debate.
2) If you add touring stuff (windshields, saddlebags, floorboards, sissy bar, etc) to the M, it no longer retains that bad-to-the-bone muscle cruiser look - you just have a slightly faster version of the C. To think about it another way: how many choppers have you seen with saddlebags or windshields? (OK, point #2 settled.:D )
3) We need more folks on our C109 sub-forum. :joke: (OK, maybe point #3 won't really help to sway you toward a C, but the first 2 might.)
4) It's a fast bagger. You wouldn't expect a tourer/bagger to haul like it does, but it's surprisingly fast. Prior to the V-Rod Muscle, the mags said it was the fastest V-Twin, with the exception of the M.

#20 ·
CBR1000DUDE,Red Riding Hood and some others have very nicely set up their M's for touring. The M in my opinion can be made,for a few thousand, into a decent long distance tourer but it will never be a "glide". But it will out ride most any "glide" in any driving situation...if that's your intention...you need the M...if you really want a real tourer...then you got to go with something else...a Goldwing,Ultraglide, or maybe a C....for maximum long distance comfort. The M is all I will ever need for riding even covering hundreds of miles a day......when I get so old I need a Goldwing...I will cut my own heart out and eat it :D jk "wing" guys ...jk. :bigthumbsup:

#21 · (Edited)
I have a smaller Memphis Shades Windshield (forget the name :dontknow:) and it does me justice. I typically only use it during the winter and on long highway rides. It makes a big difference for me during these riding times.

G
#22 ·
:welcome: To the board,

Just my 20 cents worth, I was shopping for a Harley V-Rod, till I took the M109R for a ride.... and that changed everything....

My suggestion would be to take the two bikes for a ride and see which one floats your boat the most.... (puts the biggest grin on your face)

I wound up buying a bike that wasn't even on my radar till I saw it in the Dealers.... one ride and i was lost in a wave of power, torque and oh the brakes.... awesome

So take them both for a ride and see which one fits you the best :bigthumbsup:

#23 ·
C109 or M109

Agree with others, i have owned both bikes, an old saying "you win or lose by the way you choose", the only serious difference is the price, both are excellent bikes for what ever occassion. The M can be brought at stock and then mod out (same with C109R) or accessories added depending on the budget for tournering. You are a winner what ever you choose "its owning the choose that matters" Both bikes handle well on the track as well. Cher

#26 ·
:welcome: to the forum. I have the M109R. I love it. The longest ride I have been on was 15 hours roughly 450-500 round trip miles. Yes there were stops, but I had no problems with the stock seat being too uncomfortable. I am 6' 230lbs. I have no windshield either. If I had it to do over I would buy the same bike. Good luck with your decision. Do what you think is best for you.

#28 ·
:welcome:The M is the way to go. I'm 6'3" 200lb and needed a windshield bad. I got the memphis hellcat windshield and its great. If I sit straight up it get a little wind at the top of my helmet but gives great protection. The stock seat is good but I am thinking of going to a gel seat because on some, not all rides my rear does get a bit sore. Like all the guys say and what you have said as well get the M. I think everyone here looks back at their bike when they get off of it because it looks that good! Good luck with your decision

#30 ·
I ride the M and i've done 400 mile days with stock seats and love it, Honest!! But I would think the C would be easyier on longer rides. With the set up and beg riding, and floor boards. And if you ride 2 up, I'd would say the C again. But I do not have any regrets, what so ever!! I love my M, and what it does to others, as they look smile and stair and say WOW WHAT IS THAT!!!!! It's one of a kind, FOR SURE!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.