M109 Rider Forums banner

Vinyl vs Painting

10K views 56 replies 30 participants last post by  perro 
#1 ·
I was curious as to how many people have considered using vinyl intead of paint for their bike?

I was thinking about what I want to do on the fenders and I'm wondering why wouldn't vinyl be a good temporary paint job? Would vinyl hurt the 9's top coat? Cost effective?

I'm thinking custom made design would go well on the yellow (Black pinstripe design) but also make it possible to just remove it when your tired of it

#36 ·
Before I finally got the nerve, okay money, to paint my Bully, I used vinal graphic from www.ihotrod.com. They provide a great produt that acutlly looks like paint. People could never tell until they actully touched my bike (which a a NO NO) or I confessed after their compliments. I actually took first place in a bike show for best paint with. Here are a few pics

#37 ·
Guys tell me what you think of this type of idea for my bike... They're like flames but they are color matched and appear like they have inner shadow

#39 ·
Heres a version with black only stripes

#41 ·
Here is my latest attempt for the design of my vinyl, can I please get opinions, suggestions or flaming attacks what ever you like! Let me know if you like where I'm going with this. :bigthumbsup:

#42 ·
I like it... two things that look weird to me though:
- the white LE stripe on the fender. Looks out of place to me.
- The line between the front of the tank and the radiator/frame cover. Looks like the design wants to start at the neck cover (where the forks go through the frame) and move back to the tank.

Dig the concept overall though!

#45 ·
I really like some of these designs. I have a friend that makes vinyl on a side business he has.

I know what I have done and I think he does once in a while when installing larger one's is spray a mist on the decal and the painted surface you are applying it on with Windex or soapy water. This will allow you to move it around to get it in the right position. You won't be able to drive it for a day or so depending on temp outside because it needs to dry for the glue to adhere but it works good. I did this with the faring on my CBR and it worked great. I used a small squeegee or credit card to get the air bubbles and excess water out after I had it in the position I wanted.

#46 ·
I really like the ghost flame looking ones but I would ditch the stripe all together and do something of the same on the front fender. Then you could also move those rear flames up and back to clear your chrome side pieces since there would not be a stripe to interrupt the upper flame on the cowl. Just my .02. Like your thinking though.

#47 ·
The White stripe will be converted to a black stripe sometime in the beginnign of next month, thats the first stage.... these vinyl graphics will come after, the cost was very very very expensive... I was quoted $450 for those flame graphics? Doesn't sound right to me. If anyone works in the vinyl field feel free to chime in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.