Rim for 300

Thread: Rim for 300

Default Rim for 300

Kind of new. I was looking for advice on converting from a stock wheel and tire to a 300. Do I need to have my rim modified or can I buy one to fit a 300? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    M109Riders.com
    Advertisements

You should use a 10" wheel if you want to run a 300 rear tire. In saying that you also need to modified your rear swing arm or buy a aftermarket one. Do a search on this forum you see the pros and cons.

I know about the swing arm. Was considering the new set up everyone has been talking about on the other thread. Any idea where I can buy that rim?

DLP sells a 10" wheel that mimics the stock wheel.

Or you can have Koosman widen your stock wheel. You will also need to modify the inner fender.

There is WAAAAYYYY more to do than just order a swingarm and wheel for a 300 to fit. Do the research, not a thing for a novice to get into----not trying to imply anything.
    I am almost always working on a bike. If you have questions and need an answer quickly, just call me. 317-507-0940. Always up late. There will be time for sleep when I am dead!

Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    There is WAAAAYYYY more to do than just order a swingarm and wheel for a 300 to fit. Do the research, not a thing for a novice to get into----not trying to imply anything.

Quote Originally Posted by futurR View Post
    To be clear I am well aware of that. I wasn't implying that I was considering installing myself anyway. I had a specific question regarding the wheel that's all. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AWESOME109 View Post
    Or you can have Koosman widen your stock wheel. You will also need to modify the inner fender.
    Thanks. This is what I was trying to find out, if I needed to buy a new rim or could mine be modified. I read in another thread about modifying the inner fender.

Relax bro. These guys are just trying to help. A lot of times people start doing things and then a post pops up asking for help. It looks like your good to go so make sure you post pics when your all done.

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.

I thought that they had a couple of failures when doing that? I would spend a little more and get a replica or just go completely after market on the wheels.
    Bang for the Buck Mods link CLICK HERE

Quote Originally Posted by rynosback View Post
    I thought that they had a couple of failures when doing that? I would spend a little more and get a replica or just go completely after market on the wheels.
    Mods:New Motor Upgrade/Genesis Rims Mez 280/160 Tires/ Swampworks 2 Piece Swing Arm/Cobra Swepts/Chrome Spike Filters/Yani Shiki 2" Riser/All Braided Cables/Chromed Entire Handle Bars/Kuryakyn Iso Grips-Iso Boss/Knight Rider LED/Raw Design LED Front/Rear Signals/Corbin Seat/Arnott Air Ride/Low And Mean Busa Kit-Front Fender/Gothic Side License Plate/HID Head Light/Heal Tech TRE/Chrome Calipers/Cycle House Down Under Kit.

My understanding is that they fixed that problem.... Its in the thread.
    Live the Life you love... Love the Life you Live

Quote Originally Posted by SEMAJ View Post
    My understanding is that they fixed that problem.... Its in the thread.
    Yes they did fix the problem and they have not had a whell fail since and it has been a few years and if i remember right the wheels that did fail was caused by hitting huge pot holes that would have wrecked any wheel. both wheels i have had widened are both going strong

Oh Yeah , and jrrose sent me pictures of the new way they weld
    them now , only one welding pass , no more strip of one inch welded on both sides
    I am in the process of having this done by a friend .....it's been 3 months and I'm
    still waiting for my rim back , but I am keeping quiet because he is doing this for me free
    for past favors, but I really hope I get it back before April and riding season starts.
    I could post pictures of the new way Kosman welds them now,
    but I got them in a private message from Jrrose69 ,
    so maybe he wants to keep it secret , ask him ,unless
    he comes back in this thread and says it's OK to post them .
    Every Time You Lift Your Tank Beware Of This .

Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    Oh Yeah , and jrrose sent me pictures of the new way they weld
    them now , only one welding pass , no more strip of one inch welded on both sides
    I am in the process of having this done by a friend .....it's been 3 months and I'm
    still waiting for my rim back , but I am keeping quiet because he is doing this for me free
    for past favors, but I really hope I get it back before April and riding season starts.
    I could post pictures of the new way Kosman welds them now,
    but I got them in a private message from Jrrose69 ,
    so maybe he wants to keep it secret , ask him ,unless
    he comes back in this thread and says it's OK to post them .
    Go for it i dont mind at all im on my cell so not able to atach pics

Here is what Jrrose69's rear rim looks like , after the weld by Kosman
    with the new way they are doing it .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kosman new method 1.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	81121   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kosman new method 2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	81122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kosman new method 3.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	81123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kosman new method 4.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	81124  

Quote Originally Posted by Kazimodo View Post
    Here is what Jrrose69's rear rim looks like , after the weld by Kosman
    with the new way they are doing it .
    How much do they charge to do that?
    07 M109r LE Copperhead paint * 260/160 * Cobra Swept Exhaust* Corbin seat * Tach relocated * Debeavered * Braided lines & cables * Rivco Risers * Big Air * Much, Much More!

Quote Originally Posted by dcstang67 View Post
    How much do they charge to do that?
    There are option square bead radious bead remove weld leave weld etc... what you see here was 725.00 + shipping the radious bead was more and i had them leave the weld cheeper but i like the looks of the weld so its all good

Default How much can a stock wheel be widened? Front or rear.

How much can a stock wheel be widened? Does the front and rear have the same limitations? What, if any, are the drawbacks?

Quote Originally Posted by 06 M109R View Post
    How much can a stock wheel be widened? Does the front and rear have the same limitations? What, if any, are the drawbacks?
    Not sure what the limitations are but your rear wheel can be taken to a 10" wheel and front can be taken to a 6" draw backs doesnt cost as much as a built wheel and when done you can have tjem chromed

Default Do both sides of wheel look the same?

Quote Originally Posted by jrrose69 View Post
    Not sure what the limitations are but your rear wheel can be taken to a 10" wheel and front can be taken to a 6" draw backs doesnt cost as much as a built wheel and when done you can have tjem chromed
    Correct me if I am wrong here. But it appears the wheel was split down the middle and a segment inserted in the middle. My question is: Was the design portion (spoke like pieces that stretch from outer rim to the center of wheel) get split in two? I also think this is a stupid question because balancing it if it wasn't would be challenging but I have to ask.

jrrose could you send me some photos or post some more of the wheel. I am considering doing this to my wheels and what to know as much of the good and not so good as I can from someone who has done it.

Thanks in advance for all the great information. It puts the "informed" in the informed decision making process.

Hi 06M109R , the wheel was cut , the outer part thrown away
    and the outer parts from another rim (little wider )were welded to the center part .
    ((so you keep a little more on center part of receiving rim , and keep a little more on outer
    parts of donor rim , giving you a wider rim ))
    Personnaly I am going to widen 7/8 on right side , and 5/8 on diff side , the diff side is always
    the side that rubs on the swingarm , so using shim to move wheel , or widening with offset
    should place rim in middle of swingarm.
    You want as much info as possible , OK , I read that when cutting and welding ,
    you better make sure all the paint was removed from the aluminum where you are going to weld ,
    and 1 inch more on each side , this is to not contaminate the weld , the grade of aluminum
    in our rims is crappy so we need all the help we can get for a good quality weld .
    The old way was to cut rim , make a 3/4 inch strip of aluminum (fabricate that
    strip at welding shop )and weld that strip where the cut was made .
    doing that on both sides gave 4 welds , with the new way you need 2 rims
    to make one , but you have less welding .
    Compared to the past ,now they cut closer to the center part of the wheel ,
    it seems to make the difference between fragile rims ,and stonger ones.
    I also read that if you have the choice, it is better to get the outside rim part with the square lip,
    and not the one with no lip , you can see Jrrose69'rim as no lip where the tire sits , it
    is another element to make rim stronger.
    pictures of old way .
    PS , when it comes to balancing , just put some Dyna beeds in there .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rim elargi .jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	81270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	widened  to 10 inch.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	81271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	widened rim  soudure laide.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	81272  
    Last edited by Kazimodo; 02-28-2013 at 12:38 PM.

I will respond in detail tonight when i have a computer and not my phone

Quote Originally Posted by 06 M109R View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong here. But it appears the wheel was split down the middle and a segment inserted in the middle. My question is: Was the design portion (spoke like pieces that stretch from outer rim to the center of wheel) get split in two? I also think this is a stupid question because balancing it if it wasn't would be challenging but I have to ask.

jrrose could you send me some photos or post some more of the wheel. I am considering doing this to my wheels and what to know as much of the good and not so good as I can from someone who has done it.

Thanks in advance for all the great information. It puts the "informed" in the informed decision making process.
    ok they cut the wheel about a inch from each side of the center (spoke part) of the wheel then they make a bilit bead side pieces as per your order they cut a V grove into each side of the center piece they are keeping and the bilit bead side parts they cut a V that fits into the v grove slideing them together so that they actualy lock togetherchecking it for run out before tacking and welding the wheel once they are done are as good as stock out of the box for balance.

Keep in mind Kosman is the company responsible for building all the Buel and Harley chassies for NHRA bikes we see on TV these guys know whats at steak here.

now that other wheel that has the 3/4" flats that are rolled and welded so that there are 4 welds that works too that was my first atempt at widening and it works in fact I believe that wheel is still in use today and doing well just isn`t the quality your going to get from Kosman.

NOTE: you are limited to how wide you go as per the drive shaft you just can`t move that out any further then it is unless you have big big bucks to have a chain drive or belt or something out of the box deal, I know at one time there was someone trying to make a chain drive mod and did come up with a design but it just wasn`t strong enough to hold the torq our 9s make hope this helps if not keep the pms comeing and I`ll try to answer your questions best I can