How to: 600 mile oil/filter change in just 4.5 hours ! ! [Archive] - M109Riders.com

: How to: 600 mile oil/filter change in just 4.5 hours ! !

Dawg
05-11-2007, 10:51 PM
This is a very technical post. Experienced wrench monkeys only.

If you have the Suzuki filter wrench (Part No. 09915-40610) then just drain the oil, change filter, and refill oil per owners manual. If you don't have the special wrench, proceed to step one.

1. Pick up a filter at dealer, ask for filter with nut on the end, to make removal next time easier. He won't have it.

2. Back in the driveway remove two drain plugs and drain oil into pan.

3. Find oil filter. It's on the front underneath the radiator. You can just see it with your head against the pavement.

4. Try to remove filter with existing tools you already have. Two band wrenches and a rubber strap handle wrench thingie you got with some other tools at Harbor freight. None of them will work.

5. Go to the Honda/Kawi dealer which is just up the street from where you live, take new filter with you, and see if they have a "filter wrench". Of course they do not.

6. Go to auto parts store. They don't have one either.

7. Drive all the way across town to the Suzuki/Yammie dealer to get filter wrench (45 minute round trip). Parts guy doesn't know what you're talking about. Other parts guy does know, though. They have two diffferent filter wrenches out on display. Neither one fits the Suzuki filter. They recommend a big auto parts store down the street.

8. Go to Big Auto Parts store. They have a whole rack of filter removal tools. None of the band wrenches are the right size. One of the gizmo like expanding contracting three prong filter grip tools is in the right size range. Looks like it will work. Purchase tool and head home.

9. The gizmo, etc. tool will not fit cause body work is in the way.

10. Call service manager at Suzuki dealer and ask him how they change the filter on a 109. He goes off to ask someone and come back, explains that it's a spin on filter, you just spin it off and spin a new one on, like it says in the owners manual. Oh. . . .

11. Lay down next to the bike and realize that your going to have to remove the shroud around the radiator.

12. Loosen up shroud and remove black plastic piece on bottom between red and chrome side pieces. When loosened from top down, and black piece removed you can get to the filter.

13. Try to remove filter with fancy gizmo contracting filter tool. It doesn't even come close to working. Does not grip filter at all.

14. Take medium size screw driver and pound it through middle part of filter with medium size hammer. Be careful to not do it too close to bottom of filter and don't drive it through the other side so hard that it breaks something like the radiator or other parts.

15. Loosen filter and replace with new one. Put drain plugs back in.

16. Reassemble radiator shrouding. Spend a long time looking for missing rubber grommet (one of two) that holds left bottom side piece. Huge driveway. You won't find it anywhere. One grommet on that side will suffice.

17. Refill crankcase with oil per owner's manual. Clean up spilled oil on driveway.

18. Make mental note to order Suzuki Filter Wrench (Part No.09915-40610) before next oil change.

I hope this will help out that new guy who has decided, like me, to do his own first service. If you check the maintenance schedule, there's really nothing to it but an oil/filter/rear end oil change. lube some controls, and check some bolts. First valve adjust isn't til 14K miles. Easy stuff.

:joke:

DAWG

rynosback
05-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Just call DLP and save yourself some time. Order

1. 2 oil filters So you have one ready for the next oil change.
2. Order the oil filter wrench
3. Order the JSD 3M
4. Order the Gel seats.

And if you do all of that, shipping is free!

And email Oil Doc for some Amsoil. Might as well get a case from him.
Any questions? :joke:

I personally think this is a much easier way. ;)

rynosback
05-11-2007, 11:47 PM
12. Loosen up shroud and remove black plastic piece on bottom between red and chrome side pieces. When loosened from top down, and black piece removed you can get to the filter.

You don't need to take that or anything apart. And if you want to get off the ground. Go to Pep Boys and get the motorcycle lift for $49.99 after a $20 rebate.

lostrider
05-11-2007, 11:50 PM
I am in pain just reading your story.....

rynosback
05-11-2007, 11:55 PM
You should re-title it How NOT to

Dawg
05-12-2007, 02:15 AM
That's the Joke.

Dawg

rudepup
05-12-2007, 06:05 AM
:D This is how normal oil changes go for me as well. I thought only dark clouds were over my house.

EZRider
05-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Humm! This sounds like the voice of experience speaking. Lots of little details in there. :D

vandamage
05-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Sounds like my 1st change, only add the slightly overfill, left air filter oil puke relief system, well lubricated paint(on left side only). LOL.
:beer3: :beer3:

Oil Doc
05-12-2007, 02:29 PM
I feel for you...

I do have a question for 109 owners... Will an End Cap wrench work ??

Doc

rynosback
05-12-2007, 04:17 PM
That's what you get from Suzuki. It is an end cap that fits the filter. Well worth the $8. I think it is $8, I bought a year ago. :doorag:

Oil Doc
05-12-2007, 04:59 PM
I am trying to get AMSOIL to offer the end cap wrench for our 109 filter seperately. It is in the top 3 most popular filters we offer...

If they would offer it seperately, I'd give one away with a 3 change oil package...

Doc

Blade271
05-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Sounds like he is offering to perform oil changes for the whole forum........nice........ :bigthumbsup:

buzzard97
05-12-2007, 08:04 PM
Stealership raped my wallet, but made me feel a little better by offering a 600 mile service at no charge.

OYChoppa
05-12-2007, 09:51 PM
I am in pain just reading your story.....

My side hurts from laughing so hard. Been there, done that and I don't even own a 9. :D

JT1700
05-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Bro we used a cloth strap wrench and ratchet on my boys 109 last night. Worked like a champ. Only took a few minutes and we also changed the rear diff lube also.

Oil Doc
05-13-2007, 12:23 PM
New Promo From The Oil Doc.

Buy a 3 Change Package plus a strap wrench and receive a rebate for the cost of the wrench ($3.90)

Was waiting to here from someone on how the strap wrench worked..

Toll Free Ordering 1-877-356-6099. It is forwarded to my cell, so if you get my voice mail, Please leave a message with a return number, and I will call ASAP.

Thanks, Doc

We now carry the complete line of MOTHER's Premium Appearance Products

06MrMike
05-13-2007, 02:12 PM
I hope this will help out that new guy who has decided, like me, to do his own first service. If you check the maintenance schedule, there's really nothing to it but an oil/filter/rear end oil change. lube some controls, and check some bolts. First valve adjust isn't til 14K miles. Easy stuff.

DAWG

I thought we have hydraulic lifters which require no valve adjustment.

Mike

Isjustus
05-13-2007, 05:32 PM
I thought we have hydraulic lifters which require no valve adjustment.

Mike

Yes, to the hydraulic lifters. No, to not needing adjustment. The adjustment procedure is in the service manual, and they are adjusted with shims.

KneeDragnR1
05-15-2007, 05:49 AM
Yup...Had the same trouble with get'n to my filter. However, I was lucky enough to find that the end cap filter wrench from the one I use on my R1 fits perfectly!

57chevyman
05-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Dawg,

I figured out why you had so much trouble...it's that RED color that threw everything out of whack!! When I used the rubber strap wrench on my SILVER M109 it worked wonders. :a18:

grimace
06-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Well I thought I would only take about an hour for my 600 service. I bought a oil filter wrench but not the suzuki kind. It was the after market generic one, neither dealer I called had the right one. So I figured it would work.Start off draining oil, then move over to do the filter. The after market wrench is too big. Damn. Filter won't budge by hand, no leverage plus its hot. maybe I'll try a strap wrench, twist the hell out it. Still no movement. After punching the air a little I concede that I'll have to remove all the radiator shrouds. Do it, not too bad, just spilled a bit of gas.
Now I look at the filter. Strap wrench crushed one side of filter and filter wrench doesn't fit any more. Remember the screw driver hammer technique from above. All I do is puncture filter, release some oil but filter still is not moving. I remember I have another filter wrench that was too small, not any more. I stick it on and hammer it till tight. Finally loosen filter.
Everything goes back on nicely, use after market filter wrench and torque wrench to tighten everything. Measure out oil and pour it in. Change final gear oil pretty easily. Nothing ever goes easy for me.

HONDO
06-05-2007, 10:35 AM
For me either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

big69
06-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Hey did you lose the filter up BEFORE you warm the motor up and did he even do a search on here for the oil change by lamont :dontknow:

Oil Doc
06-05-2007, 11:34 AM
I change my oil cold if at all possible. I hate burnt fingers or any other parts for that matter.

Doc

bushhog
06-05-2007, 11:38 AM
Hey did you lose the filter up BEFORE you warm the motor up and did he even do a search on here for the oil change by lamont :dontknow:
http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php/topic,2936.0.html

Oil Doc
06-05-2007, 12:01 PM
I love his little anecdotal remarks about the frying pan....

The best part is those lovely Red, White and Blue labeled oil bottles :bigthumbsup:

Doc

rcj_houston
06-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Hey dawg

I completely feel your pain. I decided to let my dealer do it each time. They are only charging me 1/2 a shop hour for labor, so I figured it worth it to me to avoid this. Wow...I could feel yor frustrations from the start.

Thanx for sharing your pain lol

cheers....

Seabee68
06-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Man .. im glad i didnt go thru all that.. sounds painfull. I've done my own oil change three times now and none of them took longer than 45 minutes at most. If you get yourself a bike lift it will make all the difference but even then my first oil change took me no less than an hour without a lift. I used a small strap wrench and work fine. Also .. very important to remember.....

When puuting the new filter on make sure the old o ring is not still attached to the filter housing. dab some oil on the new oil ring( will keep it from drying up and sticking to the filter housing) and probably most importantly,only hand tight the filter, do not use the wrench to tighten the filter or you will be hating life whe the next oil change comes around.

Hope this helps :bigthumbsup:

grimace
06-07-2007, 02:17 AM
That was the first oil filter that I ran into that tight. I've done all my oil changes since I started riding except when I got my first bike. My last bike spoiled me. It was a z1000 no fairing oil filter blowing in the breeze. Took 1/2 hour tops for oil change. My other two bikes I had to remove fairings so doing the radiator shrouds wasn't a big deal except I knew that with the right tools I wouldn't have had to.

Yeti Jon
06-07-2007, 03:34 PM
That filter is a mofo to change. I found a strap wrench that fit. Just watch out for the body. Next change will be much faster.

zookmon
06-08-2007, 12:21 AM
With the Suzuki cap wrench it's not bad at all.... ;)